Welcome to Life at the Holman's.


This blog is my way of sharing some of my thoughts and ideas. As the children age and become independent, I find myself with an empty space. Years of homeschooling and child-rearing focus has transitioned to more time to focus on the things I enjoy. One of my greatest pleasures is cooking. I enjoy making sweet treats for my family and friends and preparing meals that bring a smile to my husband's face. I like finding new ideas that help to make life easier. Enjoy!

Wednesday, April 28, 2010

Frozen Banana Trick

My children really enjoy bananas and recipes that include them. We often purchase the bags of slightly ripened bananas that are discounted at the grocery stores. This week I picked up a 5 pound bad of bananas for $1.29 at our local grocery store.

Sometimes, the kids eat the bananas like crazy, and they are gone before I know it. However, there are those times that they sit on the counter until they are beginning to get too brown for anyone to want to pick one up and eat it. That is when freezing the bananas becomes a great options.

All you have to do is peel the bananas and place them a freezer bag according to the size of the recipe that you will use them for. For example, I usually place 3 large or 4 medium bananas in a quart freezer bag because that is what a typical banana bread/muffin recipe calls for. Also, I emphasize to peel the banana because I have tried to freeze the banana with the peeling, and it is disastrous. You have to thaw the banana which is mushy and watery when you take it from the freezer, and in the process of trying to remove the peeling, you lose a lot of the banana!

This is a great treat for using up old bananas and having them on-hand and ready for your baking recipes!

No comments: