In a previous post, I talked about making wild rice, but since then, I have made white rice several times and have decided that my IP is worth it just for cooking rice. Being able to set it and walk away is wonderful. It has worked every time to produce the perfect rice texture. The original directions I used are found at Perfect Pressure Cooker Recipes.
Here is how I make Perfect White Rice in my Instant Pot:
1 cup rice
1 cup water
¼ - ½ salt (optional)
- Rinse the rice under cold water for a couple of minutes to wash off some of the outer starches. Drain it well.
- Place the rice, water, and salt (optional) in the Instant Pot.
- Close the lid and cook at MANUAL HIGH PRESSURE for 3 minutes.
After the 3 minutes, use the natural pressure release for 10 minutes and then finish with the quick release.
- Remove the lid carefully and fluff the rice.
- Rice doubles as it cooks, so one cup of dry rice yields 2 cups of cooked rice.
- You can increase the amount of rice just make sure you use equal rice to water ratio and rinse the rice thoroughly.
- Jasmine rice is my favorite white rice. It has a wonderful texture.
- I have made it both with the salt and without, and I don't see much of a difference.