Welcome to Life at the Holman's.


This blog is my way of sharing some of my thoughts and ideas. As the children age and become independent, I find myself with an empty space. Years of homeschooling and child-rearing focus has transitioned to more time to focus on the things I enjoy. One of my greatest pleasures is cooking. I enjoy making sweet treats for my family and friends and preparing meals that bring a smile to my husband's face. I like finding new ideas that help to make life easier. Enjoy!

Saturday, August 3, 2019

Back to the Blog

After several years of quiet, I have decided to try blogging again.  Life has changed a great deal in the last nine years with children growing up, one moving out, and my job as a "Mommy" transitioning to "Mom."  I started to say my time as a mom coming to a close, but I know that the job of mom doesn't ever truly end, rather it changes.

When I first started this blog in 2010, it was my way of sharing things I had learned and tweaked to make life fun and easier for me and my family.  It was for sharing some of our homeschool experiences as well as my love of cooking.  I needed an outlet to just share.  While my purpose is still much the same, I know that the focus has changed because I have changed. In essence, I want to share me. 

One thing I want to accomplish with this blog....at this point....is to share recipes that I have used and enjoyed. I really enjoy cooking.  I love tweaking recipes.  I relish a challenge.  The challenge of making a copycat recipe has always been exciting to me; however, focusing on real everyday-ingredient recipes is an important area I hope to target.  So many times while searching online for something to make for dinner, many of the recipes seemed to have an unusual ingredient or two that I didn't an on-hand item.  Sometimes I don't even have a clue what it is.  Hint:  If I have to Google something to find out what it is...I probably don't have it. 😏

Sometimes when you come home from a busy day either at work or at play, you need to just fix something quick and easy to be able to advance to that coveted relaxation moment when dinner is done and put away. I've been there, frequently.  Sometimes it is nice to be able to grab that frozen burrito or pizza, throw it in the oven, and add a side of broccoli to make it healthy! Yes, we always have a stash of the processed food for such occasions because while my husband loves a good homecooked meal, he thankfully also loves the frozen burritos, pizzas, and chicken nuggets! I have it pretty easy. 😊 

Just a note: simple recipes are sometimes just as quick (and almost as easy) as the frozen option.  That is why I want to take the time to document recipes that this downhome, Midwest, Missouri transitioned to Oklahoma girl would make on a regular basis.

Addendum:  As stated before, I also enjoy challenges so I will be recording unusual recipes that I make for the pure enjoyment of cooking!  Finding and creating semi-off-the-wall foods makes cooking more interesting.  Exploring different ideas, different cultural foods, and different methods of food preparation creates variety and spice in life.  A little Chinese one day, a little Mexican the next keeps life flavorful!

If there is a recipe that you have or enjoy, feel free to share.  I would love to try new things, and often the best recipes are the recipes shared with friends!