Welcome to Life at the Holman's.


This blog is my way of sharing some of my thoughts and ideas. As the children age and become independent, I find myself with an empty space. Years of homeschooling and child-rearing focus has transitioned to more time to focus on the things I enjoy. One of my greatest pleasures is cooking. I enjoy making sweet treats for my family and friends and preparing meals that bring a smile to my husband's face. I like finding new ideas that help to make life easier. Enjoy!

Thursday, July 15, 2010

What's for Dinner? - Homemade Salsa Restaurant Style

One of our greatest things about eating in our favorite local Mexican restaurant is the chips and salsa.  While you can find a variety of flavors and styles of salsa at the grocery store, we have never found the perfect restaurant style flavor.  Even chips can be found in many varieties from yellow corn to white corn, thick to thin depending upon your preference.  (There is a tortilla chip that I found at Wal-Mart that is fairly similar to the restaurant chips that we like.  I can't remember the name but it comes in a paper sack style bag.)  However, no matter how many salsas I have tried, none of them have even been close to the 
flavor/texture/consistency of what you get at the restaurant.  


So, today I am going to share yet another Mexican recipe that we enjoy.  I finally found a recipe that is easy to make and tastes pretty much exactly like the restaurant style salsa.  Here it is!


Mexican Restaurant Style Salsa
Ingredients:
28 oz. can of Crushed Tomatoes
½  teaspoon of salt
¼  teaspoon of Garlic Powder
10+/- Jalapeno peppers (Add more to increase heat)
10 or more leafs of cilantro



Place all the ingredients in a food processor or blender.  Process until smooth.  Pour into a dish and serve fresh!


Tips:  

  1. The fresher the salsa, the better the taste.  After it sits in the refrigerator, it seems to loose some of it's flavor. 
  2. The last time I made this salsa I skimped on the peppers because I was afraid of getting it too hot for the kiddos.  However, I missed that extra heat that does seem to add more flavor.  
  3. For your tortilla chips, place them on a pan in the toaster oven just before serving in order to warm them up and keep them crisp.  It gives them that fresh restaurant style experience. 

1 comment:

Sherri said...

Hi
I found your blog when I was on cafe mom today and saw the link. great recipes, we love mexican at my house.
i enjoyed my visit to your blog

now following you
Sherri