Welcome to Life at the Holman's.


This blog is my way of sharing some of my thoughts and ideas. As the children age and become independent, I find myself with an empty space. Years of homeschooling and child-rearing focus has transitioned to more time to focus on the things I enjoy. One of my greatest pleasures is cooking. I enjoy making sweet treats for my family and friends and preparing meals that bring a smile to my husband's face. I like finding new ideas that help to make life easier. Enjoy!

Monday, June 14, 2010

What's for Dinner? - Pico de Gallo

I wanted to include a recipe that I use for Pico de Gallo.  It is a Mexican style relish that is simple to make.  

Pico de Gallo

Ingredients:
1 1/2 cups diced tomatoes
1/4 cup diced red or white onion
1 tablespoon diced hot pepper
1 tablespoon minced garlic
Juice of 2 limes or 1-1 1/2 Tbsp. of lime juice
2 tablespoons cilantro
Salt and pepper, to taste


Directions:
In a bowl combine all ingredients.


Tips for Pico de Gallo:
  1. When I make my pico de gallo, I use whatever onions I have on hand so the white and red onions can be used interchangeably.  
  2. As far as peppers, I usually use fresh cayenne peppers, finely chopped.  Mine are actually frozen left-over peppers from last year's garden. You can also use jalapeño peppers. If you do not have any fresh hot pepper on hand, you can also use ground red pepper or ground cayenne. When I use ground pepper, I only use a dash. You will need to allow it to sit for the ground pepper to dissolve and blend in or you might have a grainier texture.  It only takes a little of the ground pepper to add heat, and it tends to get warmer as it sits for a few minutes, so use it carefully. 
  3. As far as the cilantro, this is a great time to use some of your fresh cilantro.  However, if you you are out of fresh cilantro, the dried (seasoning bottle type) cilantro will work.  Make sure to only use the dried cilantro if you have time for the pico de gallo to sit.  The dried cilantro will have to have time to soak up some of the juices and re-hydrate.  As I mentioned in a previous post, you can use the frozen cilantro in this dish.  While it does not have the crisp flavor of fresh cilantro, I have used it in pico de gallo when I have not had fresh, and it does alright.  Once again, fresh cilantro is the best way to go.
  4. If at all possible, make the pico de gallo in advance.  If it is allowed to sit for a couple of hours, it enhances the flavor because it gives the various ingredients time to blend.  I use our pico de gallo on tacos, fajitas, empanadas, and taco salads.

No comments: