Welcome to Life at the Holman's.


This blog is my way of sharing some of my thoughts and ideas. As the children age and become independent, I find myself with an empty space. Years of homeschooling and child-rearing focus has transitioned to more time to focus on the things I enjoy. One of my greatest pleasures is cooking. I enjoy making sweet treats for my family and friends and preparing meals that bring a smile to my husband's face. I like finding new ideas that help to make life easier. Enjoy!

Saturday, September 7, 2019

What's for Dinner? Onion Straws

A couple of years ago I was making hamburgers and onion rings and decided to attempt some onion straws.  After a quick search, I found a recipe on the Pioneer Woman website.  (Here is the original link.)  The following recipe is the PW recipe tweaked to my liking:

PW’s Onion Straws
Ingredients:
1 large onion
2 c. milk
2 tsp. lemon juice or white vinegar
2 c. flour
1 scant Tbsp. salt
1 ½ - 2 tsp. black pepper
¼ to ½ teaspoon Cayenne Pepper
Oil


Directions:
Mix the milk and lemon juice or vinegar together and set to the side (This is a quick buttermilk substitute). Slice the onion very thinly using a mandoline or a sharp knife. With your fingers, toss the onion slices until the onion rings are separated.  Place the onion pieces in the milk/lemon juice mixture and allow to sit for at least 30 minutes (the longer the better). 

Combine dry ingredients and set aside.

Heat oil to 375-400 degrees.

Once the oil is heated, take a handful of onions from the milk and toss them into the flour mixture. Shake off excess flour and place the onions into the hot oil. Fry for 2-3 minutes or until golden brown. Repeat until all the onions are fried.

Eat before anyone else sees them! Repeat with another onion!

Notes: Do not be tempted to put all the onions in the flour at once because the flour mixture gets soggy on the onions before you fry them, and the result is a tougher texture.

Serve with the sauce for Bloomin’ Onion Petals. 
Good on top of burgers!

No picture....just imagine string, thin slices of lightly golden batter dipped goodness!  Mmmmm!

No comments: