Welcome to Life at the Holman's.


This blog is my way of sharing some of my thoughts and ideas. As the children age and become independent, I find myself with an empty space. Years of homeschooling and child-rearing focus has transitioned to more time to focus on the things I enjoy. One of my greatest pleasures is cooking. I enjoy making sweet treats for my family and friends and preparing meals that bring a smile to my husband's face. I like finding new ideas that help to make life easier. Enjoy!

Saturday, September 7, 2019

Yeasts and Bread Baking

Many years ago, I was making bread and could not figure out why my proof didn't bubble right.  If my memory serves me correctly, I remember talking to my granny about it one day.  Her immediate response was that my yeast was probably dead and she said, "If you ever have yeast that does not foam after it sets, throw it out and start over because it is probably dead, and you will be wasting the rest of your ingredients."  

When dealing with yeast, it is important to realize that it is a living organism.  When you put warm water (or other liquid) into yeast, it activates the "sleeping" yeast and allows it to begin to grow and multiply.  The multiplying is witnessed as a foam that develops on the top of the liquid after a proofing period or as the bread rising.  I won't even attempt to go into the scientific reasoning, but know that yeast is a fungus.  As in all living cells, yeast requires the right environment in which to grow and food in order to multiply.  When making bread, you add the warm water (around 110 degrees) and food (usually sugar to start a proof).  This creates that perfect growing environment.

With that said, there are two main types of yeast that most people will come across in baking. Below is a bit of general yeast information straight from my own kitchen:


Yeasts Directions:
1 packet of yeast = ¼ ounce yeast = 2 ¼ tsp. yeast

To use yeast, you want to make sure your initial liquid is around 110⁰.  If you have water over 110⁰, it might kill the yeast.  I allow my tap water to run to the hottest level, which is about the perfect temperature at our house.  You want the water hot to the touch where you can stand to put your finger in, but it feels hot.

(Regular) Active Dry Yeast: To use active dry yeast, place the initial amount of water/liquid, heated to approximately 110⁰, in a liquid measuring cup.  Add the initial sugar (usually about 1 tsp.) that the recipe calls for along with the yeast and stir.  Allow it to sit for about 5 minutes to become foamy. If the mixture does not foam, then your yeast is not activated and is possibly a “dead” yeast.  You will need to get some new yeast and start over.  You want to have a nice foamy look on the surface of the water to know that your yeast will successfully make bread.  Once the foam has developed, proceed with the rest of the recipe.

Instant Yeast: Instant Yeast (which is what I buy in bulk at Sam’s Club) does not require you to activate it by dissolving before being added to the rest of the ingredients.  It can be mixed in with your dry ingredients directly. To use instant yeast, mix the yeast with about half of the flour the recipe calls for and the sugar (or at least 1 tbsp. of the total amount of sugar called for) together in a bowl.  Add the hot liquid.  Mix until it is incorporated.  Let it sit for 10 minutes to allow the yeast mixture to grow.  Then proceed with your recipe.

For many years now, I have used the instant yeast because it is so much cheaper to buy the yeast in bulk.  I pay $4.50 for 2 pounds of yeast instead of $1.00 for .75 ounces.  At first, I rejected the idea of skipping the proofing step because in my mind that was a necessary part of bread making.  How will I know if my yeast is alive?  

When using the instant yeast for my recipes, I usually only mix in the yeast, sugar (or at least part of the sugar), and about ⅓ to ½ of the total flour the recipe calls for.  I mix this portion together and allow it to sit for 10 minutes or until it is bubbly and partially risen.  So, in effect, this is the initial proofing stage.  This allows me the opportunity to "wake-up" the yeast and to make sure my yeast is alive.  

And once again....if you do not have any response from your yeast whether in actual foam during proofing or in the bubbly, beginning raise, throw it out and start over.

Here are a couple links to some of the yeast bread recipes that I have posted in the past. 

No comments: