Welcome to Life at the Holman's.


This blog is my way of sharing some of my thoughts and ideas. As the children age and become independent, I find myself with an empty space. Years of homeschooling and child-rearing focus has transitioned to more time to focus on the things I enjoy. One of my greatest pleasures is cooking. I enjoy making sweet treats for my family and friends and preparing meals that bring a smile to my husband's face. I like finding new ideas that help to make life easier. Enjoy!

Monday, October 18, 2010

Success! Sweet Pears!

Well, we made our trip back to the pears Saturday (in the truck) in hopes of finding completely ripe, better tasting, sweeter pears, and we were not disappointed.  Success!  The pears had just reached their perfect ripeness.  We took the tuck so we could use the ladder since it seemed the larger pears were all really high up in the tree this time.

You have heard the saying "The grass always looks greener on the other side."  In this case, it was "the pears looked bigger on the other side."  There are 2 more pear trees about 20 feet from our pear tree across a barbed wire fence.  Those pears definitely looked bigger, so I sent the kids on over to check.  And,  They were bigger (quite a bit actually).  We all crossed over the barbed wire fence after pulling the larger pears from our tree.   Those pears were low enough that we did not even need a ladder.

We came home with 5 Wal-Mart sack full of pears.  Now, the fun part...pealing, coring, slicing, freezing.  Of course, I will use my "apple peeler, corer, slicer," but I found (after using it with the first batch) that it does not work as well on pears as with apples.  We have to cut away more of the core after using the machine, but it at least does most of the work.

No comments: