Welcome to Life at the Holman's.


This blog is my way of sharing some of my thoughts and ideas. As the children age and become independent, I find myself with an empty space. Years of homeschooling and child-rearing focus has transitioned to more time to focus on the things I enjoy. One of my greatest pleasures is cooking. I enjoy making sweet treats for my family and friends and preparing meals that bring a smile to my husband's face. I like finding new ideas that help to make life easier. Enjoy!

Thursday, September 16, 2010

2nd and 5th Grade Combined Home School Schedule

One of the things that I am always searching for is a way to schedule my school day that will incorporate 2 different grade levels.  As an elementary school teacher in a public school classroom, you only have one grade to schedule at a time.  You teach all your children at the same time and have somewhat of a schedule already set for you with all the "extra" classes and recesses that are scheduled by grade level.  However, one of the most difficult things for me in scheduling our school day is trying to schedule both of my kids during the day so that I can help them and teach them the necessary classes without one child's learning interfering with the other.  

I have personally searched online for sample schedules to use or at least base our schedule off.  I have found some schedules from other home schoolers, but I have never really found any that specifically fit our needs or have come even close.  I realize different families have different age groups, different subjects, different focuses, etc.  I just wanted to find another example from some one of a schedule that worked for them.

This past week, I spent a lot of time working on and developing a written schedule for us to follow.  It allows me to work with each child during their more oral based teaching lessons while the other child is doing their written work.  It gives us a set time to know what we are to do and what is expected.  After trying it out on day one and adjusting the times accordingly, the following is what we have decided works best for us:

5th Grade Home School Schedule
Here is Savannah's Schedule:

TIME
Subject
7:15
Rise and Shine!                                 

Get dressed, Make bed, Pick up Room
7:45-8:15
Breakfast and Teeth Brushed
8:25-8:50
MWF - Bible with Dad

8:50-9:00
T-Th - Personal Study
Calendar
9:00-9:30
Intermediate Language Lessons
9:30-10:00
MWF - Typer Island

T-TH Writing Book
10:00-10:15
Language Workbook
10:15-10:30
Break
10:30-11:00
History with Mom
11:00-12:00
Math with Mom
12:00-1:00
Lunch
1:00-1:40
Reading
1:40-2:00
Spelling
2:00-2:30
Science
2:30-3:00
M - Cleaning Day

T - Physical Education

W - Music

Th - Art

F - Free Time


2nd Grade Home School Schedule
Here is JJ's Schedule(Same early schedule 7:15-9:00):


9:00-9:30
Math with Mom
9:30-9:50
Science
9:50:10:15
Spelling
10:15-10:30
Break
10:30-11:00
History with Mom
11:00-12:00
Language Arts, Oral Phonics, Handwriting, 

12:00-1:00
Explode the Code
Lunch
1:00-1:30
Reading with Mom
1:30-2:00
Typer Island
2:00-2:30
Complete Daily Work and Learning at Home
2:30-3:00
M - Cleaning Day

T - Physical Education

W - Music

Th - Art

F - Free Time

When we first presented the schedule the first thing JJ read was... "Hmm... Break... uh.... lunch .... breakfast."  Those are his favorite times!

Of course, these are just sample schedules.  This is what we will aim for each day.  There are definitely days that will require change and variation...like tomorrow morning's dentist appointment.  Some days it will take us more time, some days it will take less.  However, the great thing about our schedule is that it seems the days are already running smoother after only 4 days.  

For a while, I tried to have a more relaxed schedule, but that is when it seemed that things became more difficult in our classroom.  I thrive on a schedule and a prepared day, and my children seem to work better, too!  I need the structure and so do my chidlren. That is not to say that we will not have our off days, rather it helps me know that as long as I am doing my part as a teacher and providing an environment conducive to learning and the kids are doing their part by working to the best of their ability, everyone is happier in the long run! 

2 comments:

Kelli said...

Do you suggest a schedule like this for a 4-5 year old Pre-K child? I mean, a more structured time for learning and free play. I'm sorry for all the questions. I am just trying to get all the advice I can from people I know that have homeschooled (and are still homeschooling) their children. Thanks!

Karen Holman said...

As far as scheduling a 4-5 year old, yes some structure is great because 1) They have their own time that is set aside for them. It begins teaching responsibility at an early age. It also helps make them feel "big" to be doing school. 2)As a parent, the structure helps to ensure you set aside time in your busy day as a parent with all the laundry, cooking, cleaning, etc., to make sure you cover what needs to be covered. If I do not have a set aside time, I just never seem to get around to it.
However, with that said,a "sit-down time" is about 5-15 minutes at a shot. If your child start wandering and loosing interest, a movement activity is a great break...make body letters by calling out a letter and seeing if they can form the letter with their body or have them make the letter out of objects around the house.



1-2 hours per day 2-3 days a week is a good amount of time...just remember, that your children are learning and exploring new things all day long at that age. They can practice pouring their own drinks at a tea party, take a guess about what they think are in the cookies, learn how to set a table, etc. I focused on too much book work at that age with my daughter, Savannah....learning to read is fun and challenging, but practical everyday learning to just be a "big girl/boy" is great, too.