Welcome to Life at the Holman's.


This blog is my way of sharing some of my thoughts and ideas. As the children age and become independent, I find myself with an empty space. Years of homeschooling and child-rearing focus has transitioned to more time to focus on the things I enjoy. One of my greatest pleasures is cooking. I enjoy making sweet treats for my family and friends and preparing meals that bring a smile to my husband's face. I like finding new ideas that help to make life easier. Enjoy!

Saturday, August 28, 2010

What's for Dinner? - Easy Buttery Crunch Chicken

Allrecipes.com is a wonderful source for cooking ideas and questions, finding unique recipes, and sharing your own personal experiences.  There is a great question and answer forum that I have used many times in the past to find answers to various questions.  If you open an account, you can also save recipes that you like or want to try in your own personal "cookbook" area.  


The following recipe is a quick and easy dish that I discovered on allrecipes.com.  It is called Famous Butter Chicken on their site.  Everyone in my family loves when I make this recipe, and it can be fixed with very little time or effort on my part.


Famous Butter Chicken - Easy Buttery Crunch Chicken
Ingredients
  • 2 eggs, beaten
  • 1 cup crushed buttery round cracker crumbs (Ritz style)
  • 1/2 teaspoon garlic salt
  • ground black pepper to taste
  • 4 skinless, boneless chicken breast halves
  • 1/2 cup butter, cut into pieces
  • Directions
  1. Preheat oven to 375 degrees F (190 degrees C).
  2. Place eggs and cracker crumbs in two separate shallow bowls. Mix cracker crumbs with garlic salt and pepper. Dip chicken in the eggs, then dredge in the crumb mixture to coat.
  3. Arrange coated chicken in a 9x13 inch baking dish. Place pieces of butter around the chicken.
  4. Bake in the preheated oven for 40 minutes, or until chicken is no longer pink and juices run clear.

Tips:
  1. I always make more than the recipe calls for (usually 6-8 chicken breast halves for the 4 of us).  It doesn't seem to go very far no matter how much I make.  JJ absolutely loves this chicken and will eat it until it is gone if we let him.
  2. I use real butter for this recipe.  I have not tried margarine, but I believe it will work as well.  We just like the saltier real butter flavor.  
  3. The garlic salt is not detected in this recipe.  So, if you have an aversion to garlic, don't worry because the flavor is not strong in it.
  4. Pour the remaining cracker crumbs over the chicken before adding the butter pieces just to add the extra crunch and prevent wasting the leftover cracker crumbs.
  5. Lay the pieces/slices of butter directly on top of the chicken.  I usually place 2 slices on each piece of chicken (or one if the pieces are small chicken tender size cuts).  This seems to distribute the butter more evenly.

No comments: