Welcome to Life at the Holman's.


This blog is my way of sharing some of my thoughts and ideas. As the children age and become independent, I find myself with an empty space. Years of homeschooling and child-rearing focus has transitioned to more time to focus on the things I enjoy. One of my greatest pleasures is cooking. I enjoy making sweet treats for my family and friends and preparing meals that bring a smile to my husband's face. I like finding new ideas that help to make life easier. Enjoy!

Friday, August 20, 2010

What's for Dinner? - Spicy Mexican Chicken Casserole

Tonight for dinner, I was planning to make a chicken and rice casserole.  I had purchased a 10 pound bag of chicken and was getting it ready for the freezer. So, my plans were to keep some of the chicken thighs out for dinner.  We have a typical chicken and rice casserole that we make (usually in the winter because I don't like use my oven for extended periods of time in the summer).  However, the recipe we make is a more bland recipe (not bland in a bad way...just not full of flavor), and I wanted something with a little zing. I decided to use the main idea of our usual recipe and come up with my own recipe style, and it actually turned out really good.  


Spicy Chicken and Rice Casserole
Ingredients:
1 can Cream of Mushroom soup
1 can water
1 can Rotel (mild or hot depending on how warm you want to make it)
3/4 cup rice
5 chicken thighs
1/2 tsp. cumin
Salt and Pepper to taste
1/2 cup Mozzarella cheese, Mexican Blend, or Monterrey Jack
Directions:
Preheat oven to 350 degrees.  
Place soup, water, and Rotel in a 9X13 pan.  Mix together and then add the rice.  Mix in the cumin, salt, and pepper.  Lay the chicken in the pan meat side down and then turn over.  This will put a light coating on the top of the chicken.  I actually spooned a little of the mixture on the top of each piece of chicken.  Cover the dish with foil and bake for 1 hour.  After one hour, remove the foil and top with cheese.  Return to oven and back for 15 minutes or until lightly browned.  


That's it.  It was quick, easy and very tasty.  You can add whatever veggies your family prefers.  The kids both liked it, and Jason said it was good, too.  If it passes the family test...it is a keeper!

No comments: