Welcome to Life at the Holman's.


This blog is my way of sharing some of my thoughts and ideas. As the children age and become independent, I find myself with an empty space. Years of homeschooling and child-rearing focus has transitioned to more time to focus on the things I enjoy. One of my greatest pleasures is cooking. I enjoy making sweet treats for my family and friends and preparing meals that bring a smile to my husband's face. I like finding new ideas that help to make life easier. Enjoy!

Thursday, May 6, 2010

What's for Dinner? - Chicken Taco Salad also called Chicken Taco Loco

Here is part 2 of the Restaurant Style Chicken Taco Salad aka Taco Loco

One of my husband’s favorite meals has always been eating a Chicken Taco Salad from our favorite authentic Mexican restaurant.  One day, he said I should try to make my own.  I searched and searched online for a recipe that sounded anything like what I thought our chicken taco salad should have in it.  I found nothing!  So, I started the trial and error process.  After a couple of tries, we finally had it right!  At the end of the post, you can view a You Tube How-To video that we posted to show the process of making the salad bowl.  

Chicken Taco Salad
For the Chicken:

Ingredients
2-3 pounds boneless skinless chicken breast
½ and 1tsp. Cumin
½ tsp. Onion powder
½ tsp. Garlic powder
1/8 to 1/4 tsp. Light on the chili powder
Dash of red pepper
Salt and pepper
2-4 Tbsp. salsa
Boil 2-3 pounds of chicken breast meat.  You can use whatever chicken you have on-hand.  We just prefer chicken breast for this meal.  Add 2 Tbsp. of salsa and ½ tsp. cumin to the chicken while it is boiling. 
After the chicken is completely cooked (approximately 20-30 minutes), shred the chicken.  Place the chicken in a large skillet with some of the chicken broth from boiling the meat to keep it moist.  Stir in additional 1 Tbsp. salsa, ¼ tsp. cumin, onion powder, and garlic powder, 1/8 tsp. chili powder, and a dash of red pepper.  Add salt and black pepper to taste.  Allow the meat to simmer for about 3-4 minutes.  Taste the meat at this point to make sure it has enough taste to your liking and add more seasoning if you feel it is necessary.  Quick note:  The measurements I listed are all approximates because I usually just use the dump and pour method and never measure exactly how much I put in. I always try the meat to make sure there is enough seasoning and add to it accordingly.  

For the Fried Taco Salad Bowls:

Ingredients:
5-6 Tortillas (according to the number of people you will be feeding)
Oil for frying

You can use either homemade tortillas (see previous post) or the store bought ones.  Heat your fryer to 400°.  You will need a small metal bowl, something to hold the bowl down to form the taco bowl, and tongs to remove the hot metal bowl and to flip the salad bowl over to cook both sides. 

Place one tortilla in the hot oil and immediately place the small metal bowl in the middle and use a large metal spoon to push the bowl into the middle of the tortilla to form a bowl shape.  Hold the bowl down for several seconds until the tortilla is set.  Carefully remove the metal bowl and continue to cook the tortilla.  Use the tongs to flip the tortilla and cook the upper part of the tortilla for about 30 seconds.  When the tortilla bowl is golden brown, remove it from the oil and place it on a paper towel to drain.  Continue this process until all the bowls are cooked.  You can place the already cooked shells in the oven on 175-200° to keep them warm.
 I also need to note that my husband gets all the credit for coming up with this easy way to make the taco salad bowls!



Taco Salad Toppings:

Shredded lettuce
Salsa
Shredded Cheese
Tomato slices
Sour cream
Melted White American Cheese (made with 7-8 slices of white American cheese and 1/8 c. milk melted in the microwave)
Pico de Gallo (optional)
Guacamole (optional)

Constructing the Salad:

Take one salad bowl.  Place about a tablespoon of melted cheese in the bottom of the bowl.  Add a spoonful of the chicken and put another tablespoon of melted cheese on top.  Top with shredded lettuce, a dollop of sour cream, and one slice of tomato.  You can add any other ingredients that you like on your salad!  Serve with refried beans, Mexican rice, chips, salsa, and a Pepsi!  Enjoy.



No comments: