Welcome to Life at the Holman's.


This blog is my way of sharing some of my thoughts and ideas. As the children age and become independent, I find myself with an empty space. Years of homeschooling and child-rearing focus has transitioned to more time to focus on the things I enjoy. One of my greatest pleasures is cooking. I enjoy making sweet treats for my family and friends and preparing meals that bring a smile to my husband's face. I like finding new ideas that help to make life easier. Enjoy!

Wednesday, May 12, 2010

Today, my daughter asked me if I was going to put “Lucy” on the blog.  At first, I thought…no, I wasn’t really planning on including her, but then I realized how much a part of our family “Lucy” really is.  So…

Meet Lucy!
That’s right.  Lucy is our Labrador Retriever.  She is almost 10 years old and has been with us about 9 years and 2 months.  Lucy was a rescue dog that we adopted when Savannah was about 10 months old.  I have to admit that when we first got her…she was not my favorite.  She chewed everything that she could find for about the first 3 years of her life with us. 

However, now I could not imagine life without her.  She is a great dog.  She still chews, but it is not anywhere near as bad as her puppy years.  When we leave our house, she always greets us with such excitement, and she always has something in her mouth from the recycle bucket that she is bringing to us.  It is like she is bringing us a “gift” to welcome us home!

We recently had a tragedy in our life that actually made me appreciate her even more.  We had a second Labrador that became very sick and had to be put down, “Buck.”  It was a very emotional time for the entire family especially my daughter.  She was very attached to her dog and still misses him very much. 

We also have 2 cats - “Twaila” (left) and “Mittens” (right).  “Twaila” was a birthday gift from our neighbor in 2008, and “Mittens” was one of her kittens.   “Twaila” is our wonderer.  She usually just comes around for food and a little loving, and then she leaves.  She was never very fond of us keeping “Mittens” so she just leaves.   “Mittens” is our very playful and mischievous cat.  Right now, our trouble is keeping her from digging in our garden. 

That is it for our animals right now.  The animals are just one of the joys of living in the country, and they are a very fun part of our life here at the Holman house.

1 comment:

Brenda Hasty said...

Sorry to learn about Buck. Lady looks great if memiory serives me right she had been sick some too. She has made it because I am sure it is for Savannah's love. Dogs knows when they are loved. Does she still have trouble with her hip?