Welcome to Life at the Holman's.


This blog is my way of sharing some of my thoughts and ideas. As the children age and become independent, I find myself with an empty space. Years of homeschooling and child-rearing focus has transitioned to more time to focus on the things I enjoy. One of my greatest pleasures is cooking. I enjoy making sweet treats for my family and friends and preparing meals that bring a smile to my husband's face. I like finding new ideas that help to make life easier. Enjoy!

Tuesday, May 4, 2010

What's for Dinner? - Easy Guacamole




One of my favorite toppings for just about any Mexican dish is guacamole, and it is very easy to make (pictured at left is Savannah making guacamole).  I have tried several recipe variations and here is what I have found is the best...so far. 

Easy Guacamole

Ingredients:
1 medium ripe avocado, peeled and pitted
1 Tbsp. salsa
1 garlic clove, minced or ½ tsp. minced garlic
Salt to taste (This will vary according to personal preference.)

Directions:
1.  Place the peeled avocado in a bowl and use a fork to mash the avocado until it is fairly smooth. 
2.  Place the remaining ingredients in the bowl and mix thoroughly. 
3.  Transfer the guacamole to a small bowl and serve immediately.

There are of course a couple of different options that you can take into consideration.  First, I use a lot of "fresh" garlic in my cooking.  It has a much better flavor than the powdered kind.  In the past, I would purchase the garlic cloves, peel them, and use the garlic press to have fresh minced garlic.  However, I have found that it is much easier and cheaper to buy a jar of garlic.  I purchased an 8 ounce jar of minced garlic at Dollar Tree for a dollar.  1/2 teaspoon equals one clove of garlic.  So, there are roughly 96 cloves of garlic in one jar.  


When choosing a ripe avocado, pick one that has a slight give to it when lightly squeezed.   If you are buying a couple of days in advance of preparing your guacamole, you should purchase a firmer avocado and allow it to sit on the counter to ripen.  


Another time save:  If you have a food processor, you can place all the ingredients in the food processor, cover, and process until smooth. 

Finally, guacamole does turn dark when exposed to the air so you may want to wait to make the guacamole until closer to time to eat.  If you do make it early and notice a darkening to the guacamole, stir it again and it will mix in the darkness some.  It will also turn dark if stored in the refrigerator, but that does not mean it has gone bad.  However, the fresher the guacamole, the better. 



No comments: